NOTE: This website is deprecated. All the same blogs + comments are now available at http://blog.quaddmg.com. You can go to the same article by going to http://blog.quaddmg.com/articles/YYYY/MM/DD/article-name

4/10/2005

The cutting edge wounds deeply

OK, a few steps forwards, a couple back, then back and forth to make me dizzy. Firstly, I downgraded my kernel to 2.6.10, and I'm going to stay on it until something makes me change. Small changesets are great for development, but they're hell for stability. Every kernel upgrade's left something broken, be it in 2.6.5 (everything was broken), 2.6.8 (ext2/3 was broken), 2.6.9 (pilot), and 2.6.10 has been the only one that worked completely. Even the new fglrx supports it.

Speaking of which, I upgraded fglrx and started using it. ATI drivers for linux are "t3h sux0r", as they say in some parts of spain. They support a "big screen" mode, which makes your two screens into a big framebuffer, or the "dual desktops" mode, which effectively gives you two x-servers. Both of these are shit, since they can't use Xinerama, which effectively makes your system work like the windows' dual desktops. The option is effectively to use the open source drivers and be able to do normal stuff fine, or use the accelerated ATI drivers and not have the two desktops. Things really don't like either the dual or big screen modes.

I switched back to the XOrg servers on Ubuntu, since the guy offering the debian fglrx packages also did it. Ubuntu is great, since it's free, and I'll be recommending it to anyone who wants to get linux from now on. Based on Debian, good for beginners, and has the latest software. Point being, I've got the Ubuntu tree off my debian "repository". Hopefully it won't cause problems. Anyway, at this point I discover that the ATI drivers won't use composite (fancy transparencies and shadows) with DRI (accelerated GL). Bloody ATI. Nvidia peeps are laughing at me right now. I mean, I heard the ATI drivers were bad, but damn.

Anyway, I'll be hoping they get accelerated composite / damage / RandR / etc. happening soon.
 Comments (3)
Blogger Tim
Is there a translator in the house?
 
let the internets be your guide.
 
In case anyone else sees this, the new ATI drivers seem to support Xinerama. I'm going to give them a try later.
 

Add Comment


<< Home